The Guilford High School Interact Club Youth Advisory Group (YAG), an initiative of the Guilford Foundation to promote youth philanthropy, raised over $10,000 in donations during the 2014-15 school year, awarded grants totaling $7,475 to six organizations serving Guilford, and invested $7,000 into their permanent endowment fund.
The Guilford Foundation matches the funds raised through YAG to provide one half of the grant award for the grants. The six grants awarded in May 2015 were as follows:
- $1,000 to the Guilford Agricultural Society for educational materials and financial assistance for student trips.
- $1,075 to the Guilford Free Library to purchase an energy-efficient computer.
- $1,000 to the Guilford High School Music Boosters to help pay for new marching band uniforms.
- $2,000 to Women & Family Life Center to support a high school female self-defense class.
- $1,000 for Shoreline Arts Alliance to support a youth summer camp, Shakespeare on the Green.
- $1,400 to the Guilford Preservation Alliance to help expand Early Guilford Days.
YAG is an initiative of the Guilford Foundation whose intent is to foster philanthropy among high school students. Members of YAG raise funds throughout the year through events such as popcorn sales, tag sales, and direct appeal, and then the group solicits grant applications for projects from organizations that serve Guilford residents. The YAG members review the grant applications and select those projects that meet their rigorous funding standards and present their recommendations to the Guilford Foundation Board of Directors for ratification. The Guilford Foundation provides half of the grant award for the grants.